ANSWERS: 5
  • Nooooooo! You'll probably end up burning out your car wiring! Are the appliances DC powered?
  • Not a good idea, you might have to go buy a power booster. Something like this: http://www.sourcingmap.com/20a-dc24v-dc12v-car-power-inverter-negative-booster-18v32v-input-p-20430.html
  • It is possible, but it is also possible to soak the car in gasoline and toss a lit match on it. Fuses are the rating they are for a reason, and most of the time that reason is to prevent the wiring from overheating and burning up. If you want to do a little jiggery-pokery and wire another outlet in (with an in-line fuse, of course) then you can go that route, but otherwise you'll just have to use your appliances one at a time. FYI - those vehicles that have multiple 12V outlets usually have multiple circuits and/or thicker gauge wiring to safely handle the increased amperage.
  • Read your manual to find out what kind of load your car can handle, and don't exceed it. We have an invertor for the socket of our car, and we only use it with the motor running, to avoid draining the battery. It works with the laptop and with the overhead TV, but I wouldn't try a microwave or toaster or anything that has a heater element with it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverter_(electrical)
  • Don't do it. First, it's not the voltage but the current, measured in amps, that limits the total load. The entire circuit is designed together: the battery, the wire to the cigarette lighter, the lighter socket itself. Even the total load on the alternator is considered. Every circuit except the starter motor is fused at a maximum current rating that protects the components. The fuse is designed to open before the wiring overheats or the load on the battery or alternator exceeds design ratings. The least harmful option is to run a separate, fused circuit from the battery to one of your gadgets.

Copyright 2020, Wired Ivy, LLC

Answerbag | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy